Friday, May 30, 2008

Email Response from Rick Yancey

Question 1) What inspired you to start writing? I began early, around fourteen or so, when I discovered fantasy, sci-fi. I thought, Boy, I’d love to be able to create something like that! I was also inspired by more than a couple kind and caring teachers who encouraged me to pursue my passion for writing.

Question 2) How old were you when you started writing a book? 14. But I wasn’t published until many, many years later, closer to the age of 40 than 30 or 20. My first published novel was begun when I was 38.

Question 3) How do you get your ideas? From nearly everywhere!

Question 4) Who were your major influences growing up? Tolkien, Hemingway, Faulkner, Fitzgerald, Graham Greene, Robert Parker, Updike. Too many really to name.

Question 5) What are your favorite subjects to write about? Adventure, of course! I also love mystery and my first novel was a romance with a bit of mystery thrown in.

Question 6) Can you tell me some of your background? I was born and raised in Central Florida. I was educated in Chicago. I’m married with three terrific sons.

Question 7) What advice do you have for an author to be? Believe in yourself and what you do. Never give up. There are no shortcuts. Learn from failure and rejection. Fight for your characters. Read, read, read. Never be satisfied or think you’re “brilliant.” Don’t trust every single opinion, especially from people who love you and want to say things you want to hear. Sacrifice your ego for the good of the story.

Question 8) How were your grades in school? Very good, A’s and B’s.


Question 9) What books do you read? Most non-fiction. I love a good non-fiction mystery. I love the Spenser mystery books. Right now I’m re-reading The Years of Lyndon Johnson, a brilliantly written biography by Robert Caro.

Question 10) Do the books you read ever give you ideas to use in your writing? No.

Question 11) What is an average day for you? After the kids are off to school, I write for about three to four hours, and then it’s a lot of marketing . . . being a full-time writer has as much to do with marketing yourself as writing the actual books.

No comments: